Senseful ramblings of an incoherent nature from a delusional schizophrenic (or my views on current events)

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Omega Storm

Last night while watching the 11 o'clock news I learned that once tropical storm names pass W they then are named after the Greek alphabet. It is after W and not Z because they dont use Z names, Or Q, U, X and Y names either! This year's W name is Wilma, so after Tropical Storm Wilma comes and goes, the next storm will be named Tropical Storm Alpha and I would guess that they would but the year after Alpha, just in case there is another one in the future.

Tropical Storm naming for Atlantic Ocean storms began in 1953. Then all the names were female. In 1979 names alternated between male and female names. They also retire names from the register if the storm was particularly devastating.

By the end of 2004 there have been 232 named storms. That means that since the naming began 51 years ago there has been an average of 4.5 storms per year. This year alone, with the latest storm Tammy bearing down on America's eastern seaborne, we have had 19 named storms. The most tropical storms on record for one year was in 1933, when there were 21. The storm season lasts from June 1 to November 30, so it is only natural to think that we will be naming some storms according to the Greek alphabet.

So far you might be bored by this meteorology lesson, but I am going somewhere with this. The Bible mentions that alpha is the beginning and omega is the end. Does that then translate that the beginning of the end is neigh?

We are just over 4 months into this hurricane season, and with 19 storms down we have averaged nearly 5 storms a month. With 2 months left we can say that there will be 10 more storms, but I will round it down to 9. That means that we will get up to Tropical Storm Eta.

Since Alpha is the beginning, if we designate every storm since Alpha with a Greek Alphabet name, the Omega Storm will be the storm in 2006 designated as Raphael. This is of course an estimation since it is nearly impossible for me to guess how many storms we might get next summer. If we dont get up to Raphael next summer (sometime in early September) then the Omega Storm will be one of the early storms in the summer of 2007, most likely in June.

What does all this mean? Well, basically the world is coming to an end sometime between October and November of 2006 or between June and July of 2007. At most we have a year and three fourths left to put all our ducks in order before the world as we know it comes to an end.

Enjoy life will you can. Dont be upset that the world is ending and become depressed. Instead, celebrate the life you have lived and have fun with the time we all have left.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa now-- don't get carried away Laurie! There's no correlation between the words of God from the Bible and mankind's naming system concerning tropical storms. Well, the only thing in common would be that both the Bible and the naming system were written/created by humans, to attempt to arbitrarily control or explain the forces of nature. So don't fall victim to apophenia, cause actually the end of the world will be on December 21st, 2012-- the date the Mayan Calender ends 'in this world' (and it's also incidentally my birthday-- freeeeeaky stuff!)

-teacake911

12:31 AM

 
Blogger Luindur said...

Dude, I dont know who you think you are talking to, but I am Josh. This girl you are refering to as "Laurie" is actually MY girlfriend Lauren, so lets cut out the "cute" names, ok?

Also, just so you know, this post, along with most of the stuff I write here, is just for fun. I dont believe in God, the bible, or anything related to either.

9:03 AM

 
Blogger Seth said...

in any case, maybe it's a good time to get that end of the world insurance that they were hawking before y2k

11:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down boy! Sorry I ass-u-me-'d that it was your girlfriend's blog (just so you know she's mentioned you in her LJ, so I already knew she was involved and offa da market.) The simple fact is she had an unlabeled link to this site, and I figured 'Luindur' was some kinda wacky rearranging of 'Lauren,' and that she wanted her LJ friends to comment in her offsite blogger.

And I'm glad you think 'Laurie' is a cute nickname! She doesn't quite feel that name when I use it for her, so you should let her know that I actually have good tastes in these sorts of things.

Hopefully you also picked up on my sarcasm about the end of the world according to the Mayan Calendar-- it's my mantra to give tongue-in-cheek Doomsday predictions as good as I get it!

And in closing-- nice background music selection. Ex-pecially that disco-techno tune, I have good raving memories of college when I hear that badboy!

-teacake911

1:20 PM

 
Blogger Luindur said...

Hey now, I am down, and i know that she mentions me in her livejournal, I was just making sure we all knew where we stand.

As far as calling her Laurie, Im really not into it. I called it "cute" in quotations because you mentioned you wanted to have a cute name for her in your LJ... She doesnt look like a Laurie, more a Lauren or Laur. Strange how some people fit into names and some people dont. Like me, I look like a Josh, but not a Clyde.

2:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here luindur.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Research presents that closely 90% of all United States grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

3:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home